Thursday, March 8, 2012

In Search of Peace - Chapter - 6

Chapter - 6

They had crossed pastures after pastures, greeneries, hilly roads and narrow paths in the mountains. The journey was full of enjoyment. They had the pleasure of the scenic beauties of various flowers, green fields, some small brooks at some places. At one point, they decided to sit in the shadow of a banyan tree. The plucked fruits from the trees and satiate their hunger. When they began their further journey, they found that someone was going before them whose name was By-Ends as per Mind’s remembrance. So he said to him, “which place do you belong Sir? Where are you proceeding for?” He then answered that he came from the town of Gloryland and he was going to Celestial City. Mind and Godlover were surprised to know that he was also moving to the same place like them.

Mind then said, “Is there any that be good live there?”

By-End said, “Yes, I hope so.”

“I am a stranger to you and you are to me. But fortunately both are moving in the same direction. And, if you like my company, I will be always your companion; if not, I must be content. I think, I have heard the name of Gloryland and I believe this place is a fairly wealthy place like our City of Pride.”

“Yes, it is true. I have very many rich relatives and friends there.”

“Please inform me who are these relatives and friends.”

“Almost the whole town is known to me and in particular they are my Lord Backbiting, my Lord Timepass and again my Lord Bigmouth and so many others are there like Losetongue, Greedyman, Mr. Nothing and then Doubletongue. This particular person Doubletongue was my maternal uncle. To be very frank, Mr. Mind, I become a gentleman of good quality because of the influence of these may be rich people. My great grandfather was a waterman, looking one way and roaming another. I got most of my estate by the same occupation. Though I am so wealthy, I have not much mental peace. And that is the reason I am undertaking this journey to Celestial City.”

“Mind continued exchanges with By-Ends. He said, “Are you a family man?”

“Yes, I am a married man, but without any children. She is a very pious lady and the daughter of an equally virtuous person. My spouse is the daughter of Lady Trouble Shooter; another rich kindred of mine. She belongs to a very honourable family, and is arrived to such a pitch of breeding, that she knows how to carry it to all even to king and beggar. Now any more questions so that I can reply to your satisfaction.”

“There are lots.”

“It is true, we differ in our religion, culture, upbringing and also our pattern of thinking, but still we can manage to move and talk except for two small points where our difference of opinion will always subsist. First, I never strive against wind and tide; secondly, I am mostly feel jealous when religion goes in someone’s silver slippers – I am very much fond of walking with any person in the street if the sun shines, and if they like.”

Mind said, “I am completely bemused to know your concept of your religion, Mr. By-Ends.”

“Please note that it is not my name, it is only a nickname which has been given by my neighbours of Gloryland. I don’t relish in being addressed by this name. If someone addresses by this name, I take it as reproach.”

“But, I have heard many people who know you, they are addressing by this name only.”

“Never, I have not given any chance whatsoever to anyone to call me by this name. They call me against my comfort.”

“As I told to my bosom Godlover sometimes ago that you are the man that I had heard off. We would definitely like to have your company in our jouney.”

“But, I don’t know you at all. Still, you find find me a fair company-keeper, I am glad.”

“If you go with us, you must mentally prepare yourself to go against wind and tide. We can’t defer our journey even if we get any obstacles. Though this is against your conviction, but you have to compromise. Further, you must also own your religion in his rags as well as when in his silver slippers.”

“You should not dictate your terms upon me. And you also should not lord over my faith. Leave it to my liberty and let me go with you.”

“You can’t move with us unless you accept what I proposed.”

“If that is the case means you impose upon your terms so rigidly then I will not desert my old principles, since they are harmless and profitable. If I may not go with you, I must do as I did before you overtook me.”

So, Mind and Godlover overlooked him and kept a safe distance before him. Mind looked back and surprised to see three men followed By-Ends. As the persons came nearer to him, By-Ends gave a bow and they in turn gave him a compliment. The men’s names were Mr. Grumbling, Mr. Arrogance and Mr. Showoff. All these men were known to By-Ends. In his minority, By-Ends was the schoolmate of these three men and they all were taught by a school teacher Mr. Truthpretence in one of the schools in Gloryland. This teacher taught them to get anything either by violene, fraud, flattering, lying or by taking the shelter of religion. These four gentlemen had acquired so much so teachings from their teacher that they could even open a school to implement the said thoughts to get anything they cherished. When they saluted each other, Mr. Grumbling enquired from Bye-Ends, “Who are they upon the road before us?” Mind and Godlover were still within the view.

“They are from City of Pride. They are going to Celestial City.”

“Why are they not waiting for us?” We could have their company and exchange views for enhancement of information and in turn knowledge,” Mr. Grumbling repeated.

“I tried to make friendship with them. I also explained the need of their company, but the men, as per me are very proud and rigid in their belief and thoughts. They are unable to digest any contradiction. They won’t budge down a single inch from their conviction. They love their own notions and they have no regard for other’s opinion,” By-Ends replied.

“That is really bad; No one should cling to their own thoughts so much which really ignore others. I pray for their wellness, because the people who are so stubborn may not achieve righteous even they desire so. They may judge that their opinions are the only correct one but this attitudinal behaviour may lead to sorrow and grief,” Mr. Showoff suggested.

“They are headstrong fellows. They conclude that it is their duty to rush on their journey all weathers; and I am waiting for wind and tide. They are for hazarding all for God at a clap; and I am taking all advantages to secure my life. They are very clear in their mind to hold their notions though others may stand against them. I am in the religion so far as the times and my safety are able to bear it. These people Mind and Godlover are for religion even when they are in rags and contempt; but I am definitely for them when they walk in their golden slippers in the sunshine,” By-ends explained.

“Now let us not get agitated by their notions, By-Ends. For my past, I can count them as fools and let them have the liberty to keep what they have their perception. But, let us be serpents; this is best to make hay when the sun shines; you see how the bee lies the whole winter season. God sends sometimes rain, and sometimes sunshine; if they be such fools to go through the first, let them, but we will wait for fair weather along with us. For my part, I like that religion best that will stand with the security of God’s blessings to us. You know Abraham and Soloman grew rich in religion in their own perceptions for the same. And Job says that a good man shall layup gold as dust. They must not be such as the men before us, if they as you have described them,” Mr. Showoff gave his viewpoints.

“I think that we are all agreed in this matter. I fully support the edifications narrated just now by Mr. Showoff. There need not be no more words about it,” Mr. Grumbling said.

“It is correct, there not be no more words about this mater indeed; for he that believes neither scripture not reason, neither knows his own liberty not seeks his own safety,” Mr. Arrogance supported.

“My friends, as you see we all are going to Celestial City and for our diversion of topics from our proudy fellow pilgrims ahead of us give me leave to propound you Mr. Showoff this question. Suppose a man, may be a minister or a tradesman should have an advantage lie before him to get the good blessings of this like; yet so as that he can by no means come by them except – in appearance at least – he becomes extraordinarily zealous in some points of religion that he meddled not with before; may he not use this means to attain his end, and yet be a right honest man?” By-Ends questioned to his companions.

“I understand the depth of your question and with all my knowledge, I like to give you an answer. Firstly, to speak to your question as it concerns a minister himself; suppose a minister, a very influential man, but possess a very small benefice, and has in his eye a greater, more fat and plump by far; he was now an opportunity to get it; yet so as by being more studious, by preaching more frequently and by altering some of his principles, I don’t find any reason why he may not do this provided he gives the final call to the opportunity,” Mr. Showoff replied.

Further, Mr. Showoff continued like a professor of a college on the conceptual question of By-Ends, “The man, the minister may desire a greater benefice within the lawful acts and he may get it provided his conscience does not betray him. His desire may make him more studious, a more jealous preacher and so on and then ultimately makes him a better man. This makes him to improve upon his parts which is according to the mind of God. Now, his main duty is to serve people which is one of his main agendas, he must possess the following three qualities. He should be an ideal leader within balanced temperament. He should be of sweet and willing deportment and he must be fit enough for the ministerial position.

And, now I conclude to your question that a minister that changes a small for a great should not for so doing be judged as covetous but rather since he is improved in his parts and industry thereby be confused as one that pursues his call, and the opportunity put into his hand to do good. Now for the second part of the question about the trademan. Suppose he is doing trade but of small magnitude, have a poor employ in the world and by becoming religious, he may mend his market, perhaps get a rich wife, bring more customers to his shop for transaction of more and more merchandise. For my part, I again see no reason but that this may be lawfully done. I opine that to become religious is a virtue. It is not at all unlawful to get a rich and charming wife and bring more customers to one’s shop. Further, the man that gets these by becoming religious, it is not at all a unprofitable design.”

This answer of Mr. Showoff to By-Ends was applauded by all. Therefore they concluded upon the whole that it was most appropriate explanation. And because, as they thought, no man was able to contradict it; and because Mind and Godlover were yet within call, they joyfully decided to question them with the said propostion as soon as they overtook them. So they called after them; and they stopped, and stood still they come up to them. Then they decided that not By-Ends should question them and instead Mr. Showoff should propound the question to them. They also took it granted that Mind and his friend would not be able to answer. So, after exchange of pleasantries, Mr. Showoff propounded the question to Mind and his friend and bid them to answer, if they could. Mind got little surprised in the first instance with the question enquired by them abruptly. He then answered, “Even a child who knows little about religious way answer many question like this. For if it be unlawful to follow Christ for loaves, as it is, how much more abominable is it to make of him and religion a stalking-horse to get and enjoy the world! Nor do we find any other than heathens, hypocrites, devils and witches that are of this opinion.”

Mr. Showoff got a rebuff by this answer and the very simplest way Mind had replied to his question, he got surprised. Mind advanced a bit and called Godlover to follow without bothering any more for these hypocrites. Godlover said to Mind, “I will warrant you when By-Ends comes up, if he has the same invitation as we do have.”

In the meantime, another pilgrim questioned Mind to join them and undertake the journey together.

He said, “This whole world is full of various types of personalities, some are sober, some other are gloomy and there are others who are flippant. But devising any journey, everyone should go together to avoid any obstacles. If you decide to go alone choice is yours, but we prefer that let all of us flock together.”

Hearing all his arguments, Mind questioned, “Can you please tell your name?”

“My name is Aristocrat and I am the son of Abraham.”

“Oh! Now, I recollect; Gehazi is your great grandfather and Judas your father. If my memory serves me right, your father was hanged for a traitor and he deserves no better reward.”

During their conversation they reduced their walking speed and because of this By-Ends and his other companions came again nearer to them.

“Why are you avoiding us?” By-Ends questioned. Mind did not answer. But Godlover whispered, “I was afraid of it at the very first; and therefore gave you that gentle caution. I would have spoken plainer and blasted them, but that you are older than I and more wise and so I kept quiet.”

Mind said, “My bosom, don’t be offended; I am sorry that I have not acceded to your caution and ultimately I have put you in such unnecessarily bickering with these unreliable persons. Pray, my brother, just pardon me. I did not do it of an evil intent.”

Godlover said, “Be calm, my brother, I have no grudge on you. I venerate you so much so that I don’t want to contradict you. But, from the beginning I know that these people are first class crooks.”

Mind assured him and from any more exchanges with them and decided to proceed, but Godlover advised that he should go first.

He said, “You shall not go first, my dear brother because now your mind is troubled and you may be again out of the way and so let you follow me.” They walked briskly so that they soon became out of their sight and after a long journey, they reached near a short heighted mountain. They crossed the mountain. In the meantime, the environment was engulfed with strong wind, sky was loured and rainfall started. The intensity of rain increased and the surroundings of the mountain were getting slowly water clogged. After some time, the water level was greatly risen and it was a real danger for them to proceed any further. So they decided to again climb the mountain. By the time, it was very dark and the flood was high and with all their skill of climbing they reached the top of the mountain and found out a little shelter. They sat down there till the day broke; but being weary, they fall asleep. When they woke up, it was almost dawn and they were hungry. The water level now had almost gone down because rain stopped long back. They came down from the stile and started walking fast in search of some fruits. They could manage to find out grapes which they plucked and consumed. After regaining their vigor a little bit, they again started their journey.

They walked for a long stretch covering hilly areas, pastures, dense forest and some tribal areas till they came to the delectable mountains which was basically belonged to the lord of hills. They went up to the mountains to view the scenic beauty of the surrounding places from the top. The top was equally beautiful to behold the gardens and orchards, the vineyards and fountains of water. Seeing the fountains, Mind immediately ran to quench his thirst and the same was the conditions of Godlover. They drank to their fullest satisfaction, and washed themselves, and did freely eat of the vineyards.

They decided to relax in the garden, and after a while, they found that some cowboys were busy in controlling their cows which were running here and there in search of green grass. The cowboys were already in the vicinity of Mind and his friend. And so Mind asked, “whose delectable mountains are these?”

“These mountains are Kindhearted’s land and the mountains are within the sight of his city and these cows also belong to him. He laid down his life for them. “

“Can you tell us how to reach Celestial City from here?”

“Cowboys replied, “You are just on your way.”

“But how far is it?”

“Too far from those who think it is far.”

“Is the way safe or dangerous?”

“Definitely it is safe for those who want to treat the same as safe; but transgresses shall fall therein.”

Mind further enquired, “Is there any place in this beautiful mountain to take rest?”

“Yes, the Lord of these mountains has given us a charge, not to be forgetful to entertain the strangers; therefore the good of the place is even before you.”

Mind came to know the name of the cowboys as Knowledge and Experience. These boys took Mind and Godlover by the hand and lead them to their tents. They shared their whatever available food with them. The cowboys said, “We would like you to stay here for some time to be acquainted with us and yet more to solace yourselves with the good of these delectable mountains.”

Mind then told, “they were content to stay and so they went to their rest that night, because it was very late.”

In the morning, day after Knowledge called up Mind and Godlover to walk with them upon the mountains. So they went with the cowboy and walked a while to observe the beauties on every side. Then Knowledge showed Mind one of the dangerous hills which were very steep. Somehow, the cowboy took Mind and Godlover to the top of the dangerous hill. But from the top of the hill, when they looked down, they were very nervous to see the depth which straight goes down, and if one slips, simply he has to face the death. Mind insisted Godlover to descend immediately without waiting any further for the cowboy.

“Let us leave this place, I feel this cowboy’s intention is not that clear,” Mind informed Godlover.

“Generally, I warn whenever any danger is imminent. But this time you are cautioning me.”

In the meantime, Knowledge came forward again and assured Mind not to be afraid.

“I am only showing you the depth so that you can understand at which altitude we are,” the cowboy told.”

“Is there any need to show this,” Mind answered.

He informed Godlover to follow him and both of them whisked past the cowboy. Then, they turned around and saw the cowboys were still waiting for them.

“It is very clear, they are also rogues under the pretext of a cowboys,” Mind expressed his concern.

“Yes, you are correct,” Godlover replied back.

Without any further exchanges, they started moving forward with a little more speed. At dusk, they reached near a brook. They were elated to see the stream and the natural beauty of the surrounding. Without wasting time, they jumped into the brook and swam to their utter pleasure. The water was so clean that they decided to float for a longer period. In this way, they were feeling relaxed and came out of their ennui. Taking a bath, they were fresh and then felt hungry. By the time, they were able to search some fruits. It was completely dark. They ate fruits and energized themselves.

“Shall we move further? I am not able to find any diversion and so this must be the route to the Celestial City,” Mind enquired

“I am not sure, it looks this is the route but we will come to know once we again undertake the journey,” Godlover replied.

“If you want, we can take rest.”

“As you please.”

They sat under a big banyan tree with its roots deeply inserted in the soil.

“It must be a very old tree.”

“Yes”

“A decent breeze is blowing and I am enjoying the atmosphere.”

“Me too.”

Suddenly there was a roaring of tiger and Godlover was bit afraid and touched Mind. A man of ugly countenance with leather type underwear with arrows on his back was seen. Seeing them, the man was about to fling an arrow, but Mind requested with folded hands not to do so. Then there was a shrilly sound of forest animals. The black man understood that Mind and Godlover Knowledge could not do any harm and so he decide to leave. Mind enquired from him about the way they should follow. The man was not able to understand only to say which transpired that the place leads to a dense forest and then walked away.

Now, they were completely baffled about the next course of action. They again sat below the same tree. They were bit drowsy and suddenly they heard the roaring and it has so piercing that they could feel the presence of the beast nearby. Godlover helped Mind to climb to the tree and when he was about to do so, he found the glittering eyes of the tiger and its greedy look. Mind climbed to the top, but he could not and fell down. The tiger jumped to the body of Godlover. From the scanty ray of the twilight, Mind saw the tiger smelt his body for quite some time and then disappeared with menacing growling.

Immediately, Mind came down from the tree with utmost care. He touched Godlover and started sobbing.

“My friend, I am disgraced to leave you in front of ferocious beast, kindly pardon me.”

Godlover got up and smiled, “Why are you feeling guilty. I only pushed you to the top.”

He then further explained to Mind about his inner power to stop breathing and act as a completely dead person.

“How is it possible?”

“If you practice breathing exercise properly for a long period and maintain a proper balance of inhale and exhale, then you can muster your courage to carry out this affection to become a dead man. I have deceived the beast employing the said technique.”

“You are simply genius.”

“It is not a question of genius. It is presence of mind and also using the concept of third eye. With the two eyes, one observe all mundane things and with the third eye, you have to see your trust level either on self or on other. In this case, when I saw the death in imminent, I took cognizance of my breathing stopping ability and kept full trust on my ability and so I am alive in front of you.”

“Still, I am guilt conscious. I am under great penitence, why I have left you in your danger?”

“Have you ever thought what would have been the outcome if you were deciding to come down to save me.”

“No”

“The beast would have gladly made a feast with both of our flesh and blood ending our desire to visit the Celestial City.

“You may console me with all your edifications but ever since the beast has left without making any harm to you though, I am relieved. Still I am being haunted with my inner conscious. Somebody is cursing me saying that I have ditched my bosom friend.”

“In one hand, you are addressing me as your bosom. You are showing your worries for my benevolence, but in the other hand, you are afflicted. I feel, you are disturbed not mentally but physically. Let us take rest and sleep, if possible.”

“Where is the place. We are now almost fighting with danger.”

Again there was a roaming sound of tiger followed by some obnoxious sound of some animals which was beyond their understanding. In fact, they were completely shuddered.

“I have a suggestion, let us go back to the brook from where we came to this place. We may have to walk with speed,” Godlover suggested.

Mind immediately acknowledged.

They whisked past the mountainous path in the dark. Both walked with a great speed. After a while the shrill sound of the animals were lessened and they were bit relaxed. Though it was dark in the surrounding, the full moon supported them in their endeavour to reach the brook. After a span of one hour, they were glad to find out their desired destination. They found out a bough covered with leaves. They decided to take rest entering in that temporary shelter. Before that, they consumed fruits which they preserved. They were tired and fall asleep in half bending position. They woke up in the next day morning with the chirping sound of matin lark. Then they dipped in the brook and freshened themselves. And again consumed fruits plucking from the nearby pastures covered with vineyards. Thereafter they sat for meditation and pray. Once they acquired a bit of religious spirit, they again undertook the journey to find out the path of Celestial City.

No comments: